Keyword research is the process of finding and analyzing terms that people use when searching for information related to your business, products, or services. It’s an important step in SEO. Why? Because it helps you identify which keywords are most likely to generate traffic and conversions. In other words, using the keywords your ideal clients are using will get you more ideal clients.
Keyword Research is Often Confusing at First
Key Points for Mental Health Professionals About Keyword Research
When choosing keywords to target on your website, there are a few key things to remember:
- Choose keywords that are relevant and specific to your business or website. This will ensure that you reach the right people with your message.
- Target long-tail keywords (three or more words) in addition to short ones. For example, targeting “couples therapy for affair recovery in Long Island” instead of “couples therapy.” Long-tail keywords tend to have less competition and are more likely to attract people really ready to reach out to you.
- Start with the resources you already have. A great starting place is reading the intake paperwork your recent clients have filled out to see what terms they’re using to describe their reason for coming in. It’s likely this is similar to what they told Google they were looking for.
If you ever need help with this or have questions about how to choose keywords for your website, we’re here to help! I often say keyword research is the hardest thing we teach, but we try to simplify the process as much as we can. We listen to your goals & preferences, research your area, consider the clients you are trying to reach and base our lists off of that.
More Information About Keyword Research for Mental Health Professionals
Here are some previous blog posts we’ve written on this topic:
- Why keyword research is the foundation of good SEO
- Keyword research tools
- Where to use keywords on your site
- 4 Common Keyword Research Mistakes
Refine Your Research Technique in January
Jasmine and I are hosting a two-part Keyword Research webinar in January! Wanna learn more? Join us! We’re finalizing the details still, but it will be January 20th & 27th and we’re going to move in depth on keyword research than we’ve ever gone before. We’ll have a sign up form on our website & social media soon, but if you want to be extra certain you know when that’s open just email us at email@example.com and Kaite will make sure you hear about the webinar when registration opens!
As a clinician, my top priority is taking really good care of the people needing mental health care. This factors into everything I do for SEO including finding the right keywords for private practice websites. I try to be very thoughtful about what potential private practice clients are searching for. When doing keyword research, our team doesn’t just look at how often something is searched but we try to consider user intent. Is someone searching for that term your ideal client? What else might people in need of your services be looking for? Keyword research is an important part of the keyword journey and a strategy piece that I’ve found fascinating since I first started doing SEO back in 2017!